Thursday, May 17, 2012

Construction Time!


Yes it has been sometime since I have written.  I can report that I am alive and things are going well.   My new site is different, and I told myself I wasn’t going to compare them but there are new things that are nice here and others that are, well, different.    

Let’s start with some updates! Being in a new site I am learning a whole new system; a new counterpart, a new municipality and dynamic within, town, people, where certain things are in terms of best bread, tortillas and good prices for produce meanwhile still trying to tie things up with the school process in Huehuetenango.  Things are good, my new town is nice and safe but it is considerably bigger then my old site.  I can talk about this later but the big news…

I am happy to announce that we have gotten our first payment from the NGO Hug It Forward and on Monday I will be going up to my old site to help deliver the first transfer of materials to the site of Guacachipol.  This has been a long time waiting, and something we can finally get going.  I am so proud of the community where we have been working tirelessly together.  Through this whole process, their patience, hope and faith in a foreigner with terrible Spanish is heartwarming and motivating.  To have this first big step in place, not having to wonder any more about the when and how along with other logistics, we can now focus on building and doing it right!  Within the next 3-4 months, hopefully, a school will be built out of recycled materials giving the community of Guacachipol a school they can call their own.  I will be updating the progress of the build and more successes and frustrations along the road with pictures, stories and videos (hopefully).  I just want to thank everyone so far that has contributed in any way they have already.  Thank you!!!
Students in Guacachipol
Things in my new site are different.  I live in an adobe house so things are a little dustier and it takes a little more sweeping to maintain it well.  Another thing, it is considerable colder in my new site and it actually hailed, and accumulated considerable amounts the first day I got there.  My house has a big garden space and I have done some planting of flowers and some herbs to relax a little.  It’s been fun and now birds including two different types of hummingbirds are coming around to investigate the new smells and colors.  The bad news, the rainy season has started and the gutter system need to be rerigged so that all the water that falls on the roof does not go into the garden.  So little domestic chores here and there but its fun when I can make pesto with the basil I’ve planted.  In a few weeks, I hope that my spinach, lettuce, radishes, carrots and cilantro will be edible and not to waterlogged. 
Snow and tropical fruit?


I am doing well.  I am feeling productive and as of now I only have 5 months left in Peace Corps.  It is amazing how time has gone by, how quickly and slowly at the same time.  I do need to start thinking about post Peace Corps and what is now out there.  Don’t be surprised if you get an email from me in the not too distant future asking for some advice. 

I hope all is well with everyone everywhere. 

Much love!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Frank do you remember me? you coached me at the Ymca for tennis. I hope all is well in Guatemala and i was just wondering if i could use you as a reference for my resume. I am applying for a job as a tennis camp counselor and having you on my resume would look stellar. i understand that you are very busy and also I'm considering joining the peace corps some day after college so ill need all the advice i can get. i hope you remember me and that everything is well. Thanks so much and hope to hear from you soon. - Sofia

    ReplyDelete