| Early morning in my site. |
Hopefully this picture (below) will leave a smile on your face as we are in full
swing with holiday activities here in Guatemala. It is crazy to think that it has been now three Christmases since I have been here in Guatemala. Time is a funny concept to think of in the
past, the present and the future. I think there are ghosts like that in the some famous carol? Not the one below though, I can assure you that.
| Merry Christmas! |
I have been getting emails from people asking what I will be
doing for the holidays, for the New Year, if I am ok to spend it here, will it be
tough etc. To shed some light on
the situation there was an article written by a fellow PCV in Botswana.
One of my favorite quote from the article is as follows: ‘Those images tend to be different in the
reality of Peace Corps service. I am close to South Africa and can find a
turkey, but I don't have an oven that can cook it within a day! The sounds of
wrapping paper are replaced by 2 donkeys mating, 3 roosters crowing, 4 dogs a
barking and 5 sc-a-ry buuuuggggs. Deep sleeping becomes a little harder with
the African summer heat, but the smiles are universal.
| The main park in front of my house |
Addressing the questions about how I feel spending the holidays in Guatemala. I feel great, I am happy, excited and ready to celebrate. I am going to be spending a night in Malacatancito with some friends, then going to spend Christmas Eve with my host family where I stayed during training, and then to Belize for a few days for some sun and fun. I can remember being in the states and always wishing I was somewhere tropical, somewhere different, and now I have that opportunity to do so. I am going to be with good friends, enjoying different traditions and enjoying my time and seeing what there is to do. Sure it might be tough, but how many people can say they can eat all the tamales and paches the want? I can. I do miss family and friend in the states, the traditions, the food, the Ellisons the NYE traditions etc. If I spend my time thinking about them, what I am missing, I will be missing the traditions and the good times I could have here. While not too far off in thoughts and heart, I will be enjoying the time here in Guatemala wishing that everyone could be experiencing what I am, and how lucky I truly am!
Well I can tell
you that in my current site, located at about 7,700 feet above sea level is
DAMN IT GETS COLD HERE! It has fallen to 26F a few times. When I was in
Malacatancito, my old site, I had grown accustomed to sleeping with a sheet and
a little blanket. Here in my current
site, there is a sheet, a comforter, 2 blankets, socks, sweatpants, shirt,
sweatshirt and a winter hat. There are
even times I can see my breath at times. Just like the holiday’s right? Most
mornings a nice frost freezes to the ground making me remember early mornings
in the states growing up and walking through the crunchy grassy fields leaving little footprints.
| Cold, eh? |
On the school front, we are almost done. We are
planning for a January 15th inauguration date which is 10000%
flexible obviously but the end is near. We just have to finish with the pouring of the floors, a paint job and
then any last minute fixes.
| The school in October. Now we have the roof up, and the walls with their cement covering. |
I hope that
everyone has a great holiday season and New Year! I wish I could be there and here and with
everyone at the same time but that technology is still not here. I hope that everyone is well and in good
health, surrounded by their loved ones with good times to be had!
And please excuse my attmpt to be festive with the color scheme.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!
You GO, Frank!...Still so proud of u!!! Merry Christmas, and best of things for 2013!!!
ReplyDelete